Friday, May 14, 2010

Aquaponic Garden

I finally "rebooted" my fish tank and got rid of the bigger plants. I also lost all my neon tetras after adding ten younger ones. I don't know why they started to act strange one by one but I suspect our very hot weather  has something to do with it. I still have the bigger creatures in my tank.

I am also now trying to learn aquaponics. Basically, it is very similar to hydroponics. It is a soil-less planting technique that uses nutrient-rich water from a fish tank. So instead of doing a weekly water change and wasting the liquid in the process, I now use a small submersible pump to provide nutrients to a small box of pebbles on top of my aquarium. These pebbles act as my growing medium which also provide support to my young plants.

There is still so much to learn and my current setup needs some improvement. I am planning to replace my box with a bigger one and install a brighter light source to stimulate plant growth.

I hope someday this indoor gardening hobby can also provide fresh vegetables and herbs. Besides, plants really look good inside a house.

1 comment:

  1. Try this one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efp5_5JG4ks

    ReplyDelete