Friday, November 20, 2009

Using Ubuntu at Home

I am not a linux expert by any means but I am proud to say that I have managed to live without Microsoft Windows in my home computer.


I have been using Ubuntu linux at home for the past five years or so without any major problems. I never had any problems with spyware, worms, viruses or any form of malicious code that would otherwise harm an ordinary Windows powered computer. I never had to reformat my harddrive just to fix a software problem that I could not resolve. I would only reformat my harddisk whenever a newer version of Ubuntu becomes available.

Aside from these obvious benefits, Ubuntu also comes with a large number of useful and free applications that would probably cost me a lot of money if I would use Windows.  I don't need to pay for a piece of software that creates a nice PDF file for me. I don't have to buy an antivirus product to protect my Ubuntu computer that  does not get infected in the first place. (YES, it is very difficult if not impossible  for a virus to infect linux,  but that's another story...)

I don't need to buy Microsoft Office since Ubuntu comes with OpenOffice that can also be used to read and edit Word documents and Excel worksheets. I can even use it sometimes to open a document that Microsoft Office itself refuses to read!

One  can also put up a webserver and a mail server with Ubuntu for free. Even penetration testers will like Ubuntu for the free tools that come with it.

So why buy Windows if you can install a free operating system like linux? Why not use Ubuntu if you don't need a software that only runs on Windows? Why would you choose to become a thief by using pirated or cracked software if you could install free applications on Ubuntu?

The choice is yours.

No comments:

Post a Comment