Saturday, August 20, 2011

Why Scratch-building an RC Plane Isn't Bad as You Think

New RC plane pilots may not know how to begin or where to begin. There are so many options that one can choose from and those who do not have much to spend might just decide to give up the hobby in the end.

Like I said before, I am also a newbie. I do not have much to spend on RC planes either so I had to resort to scratch-building my own planes instead of buying those ready-to-fly or RTF models  and kits that I could probably ruin while practicing.  Buying a ready made plane is a quicker way of starting but it can be very expensive.

On the other hand, scratch-building is fun and a good way of learning but needs a lot of patience and time. The more exciting part is seeing and watching a plane that you built with your own hands as it flies in the air.

I have a few scratch-built planes now which I made out of foamboard,BBQ skewers,popsicle sticks and some hot glue. These planes were based on plans which I downloaded from mikeysrc.com. The site is very good and has a forum where newbies can ask  questions. I learned a lot from the website and forum so I think others should try to visit and see it. The owner of the site has a Youtube channel where he shows how he builds some of his planes.

I am also learning a lot from my friend (known in rcphilippines.com  as BravoKilo) who also prefers to build his own planes using local materials. In fact, he built a high wing trainer plane for me. We fly the plane on weekends when the weather permits us. He teaches me how to fly a plane using a proven airplane design. He told me that it would be very difficult to practice without a model plane that is known to be a good one. That sounded  like a good and logical advice so we agreed that he would teach  me using the QB plane that has proven itself many times before.

BravoKilo while checking my QB plane in the field


I also learned from the web and from experience that it is very difficult to start in the RC plane hobby without someone who can guide and teach me. Trying to learn alone  can also be more expensive.Honestly, I can't fly alone.  I need someone who can give sound advice and lessons that would help minimize cost but increase the chance of success in this hobby. 


I don't pretend that I know a lot now. I am just sharing my own experience and will be sharing more as I learn. Flying RC planes does not have to be very expensive, we just need to research, learn and to get some help or guidance from other hobbyists.

Mikeysrc Sport Trainer with BravoKilo's "folded" wings


My QB plane with BravoKilo's "folded" wings



No comments:

Post a Comment